Why you should prepare your AC system before the scorching summer months
Summer is almost knocking on the door, which means blistering temperatures and humid air are coming. And to help you stay cool during the hottest months of the year, a sound and well-functioning Air-conditioning system is essential. Unfortunately, some homeowners tend to wait until the last minute to prepare their air conditioners, leading to disaster and uncomfortable days ahead of them.
With that in mind, here are some reasons why you should take the time to prepare your AC system before the summer:
1. Ensures that your AC system performs efficiently
As the summer months approach, it’s essential to ensure your AC system is in good working condition. As much as possible, you want to make sure that it performs efficiently and doesn’t break down when you need it most.
And so, one of the crucial things you can do is have your summer AC system unit repair done by professionals. With experts on your side, you can make sure that all parts are in good working order and that there are no leaks. You can also consult your service provider if they’re offering services, such as cleaning the filters and coils to remove any dirt and debris that could hinder performance.
2. Helps extend your AC’s life
There are many ways to increase the lifespan of your air conditioner unit. One way to do so is by ensuring that it’s properly maintained and taken care of, especially during the summer months when it’s used the most.
Summer heat can be overwhelming, and if your AC isn’t adequately prepared, it will have to work overtime to keep your home cool, which could lead to a shortened lifespan. This can come in handy since it can help save you money in the long run, considering you won’t have to replace it as often.
3. Improves the air quality in your home
Aside from ensuring your comfort during the hot season, a working AC system can also improve the air quality inside your home. This is essential, since in a humid setting, it’s believed that there’s an increased risk for mold and mildew growth, both of which can cause respiratory problems. And so, you wouldn’t want to end up sick just because you neglected your AC tune-up just before the summer comes.
4. Aids in lowering the cost of energy
As a homeowner, one of your considerations involves having a cost-effective home. Although there are many ways you can lower your energy consumption and utility expenses, one of the best ways is to ensure your AC system is running efficiently.
An inefficient AC unit can waste a lot of energy, which means a higher electric bill. And so, by preparing your system before the summer, you can help ensure that it runs as efficiently as possible and doesn’t put a strain on your budget.
Preparing your AC system before summer
As you can see, there are many crucial reasons why you should prepare your AC system before the scorching summer months. But what exactly does preparing your AC system entail?
Here are things you can do to get started:
- Clean/replace the air filter: The air filter is one of the most critical parts of your AC system. It can help eliminate dust, pollen, and other allergens in the air – making it much easier to breathe. If you have allergies, it’s crucial to ensure that your air filter is clean and replaced regularly.
- Check for openings or air leaks: Over time, the door and window seals can wear down – causing cold air to escape and warm air to enter. This can make your home less comfortable, but it also makes your AC unit work harder, which can lead to higher energy bills.
With that, check for any cracks around your doors and windows to avoid this. If you find any gaps, you can re-caulk them or seal them up with weatherstripping.
- Schedule a tune-up: One of the best ways to set your AC system for summer is by scheduling a tune-up. During a tune-up, a technician will clean your unit, check for any potential problems, and make any necessary repairs. This can help ensure that your unit is running as efficiently as possible. Plus, it’s always better to catch a problem early on before it has a chance to cause significant damage.
By keeping your AC unit in good condition, you can avoid costly repairs and keep your home cool and comfortable all summer long. So don’t wait until the heat wave hits to start prepping your AC- start today!