Don’t Risk Your Pipes!
Over the years, Aussie plumbers have earned a bad rap.
It’s a profession known for ripping off customers or simply doing shonky work.
At Tradebusters, we know there are many great plumbers out there and we believe these are the businesses we should all be supporting.
So, what are the signs of a dodgy plumber and how can you avoid them?
Here are some tips:
- They don’t have a plumbing licence
Checking your plumber has a license is the most basic check you can do.
In most Australian states a plumbing licence is required regardless of the value of the job.
But you will be surprised at the number of plumbers still operating without a license, or worse still, quoting someone else’s licence number.
You can do a basic license check online with your state Fair Trading or Consumer Affairs government departments. These may also list complaints lodged against the plumber.
- The don’t have insurances
No serious plumbing business would be operating without public liability insurances – unless they are a dodgy operator of course!
There is no excuse for not having public liability insurance. It’s put you, the home owner, at risk by allowing work to be carried out in your home without it.
You could end up paying for the damage or any injury regardless if it’s the plumber’s fault.
You’ll avoid such a disaster by simply refusing to do business with a plumber that cannot provide these to you.
- The cost of the plumbing job
Now, this is where things can get pretty dodgy..the way a plumber plans to bill you.
So always ask the plumber about their billing process upfront and keep an eye out for these red flags:
- Tells you there is no “service fee”. They may instead overcharge you upon arrival
- They significant inflate the cost of “plumbing parts”
- Insists on being paid upfront for the job in cash
- Does not offer you a written quote or guarantee, especially for large jobs
- Is vague about the scope of the work and is not prepared to give you a fixed price for the job or a fair estimate of the actual time required. Usually, they will hit you up with a shocking bill at the end
The best way to avoid a dodgy plumber or risk being overcharge is to engage someone that has been recommended, tried and tested by others.
Find a recommended plumber right here…who do you call?
Our Tradebusters tradesmen concierge service can connect with recommended plumbers that have had a great track record in our network for years.
You can tell us about your plumbing job right here!
Find a plumber right here