Builders Sydney – The pitfalls to watch for
We have all heard renovation disaster stories. Many occur because homeowners are inexperienced in renovating so they try to save money and take short cuts, sometimes simply making the wrong choices along the way. We talked to a few builders in our Sydney network and gathered a summary of common pitfalls to watch out for.
Builders Sydney – Top ten renovation no-nos
- Over indulgence– We would all love the best fixtures, fittings, door handles, cook tops, wall tiles, and the likes, but it doesn’t mean you have to spend more than you should. Work out a budget upfront and stick to it.
- Over capitalisation– Consider the average value of a property in your area when planning a renovation. If you over capitalise, you risk losing money when you sell.
- Site planning– Avoid bad site planning. For instance, outdoor areas should be as functional as possible for maximum enjoyment.
- DIY (Do-it-yourself)– The first thing to realise about doing home renovations in Sydney yourself is that some are illegal and some are complicated. Some renovations require only licensed builders, plumbers and electricians to complete properly.
- Drastic design changes– Before you renovate, take into consideration the structure’s original design. Adding a house extension is one area where this is crucial. The goal should be to add as much value to the original design.
- Illegal construction– Avoid building without permits and inspections. Illegal construction can result in fines and penalties up to tens of thousands of dollars. It’s smarter to comply with regulations. All qualified builders Sydney will know the difference.
- Tree removal– Beautiful trees can add value to your property, while having them removed may be costly and devalue your property. Consider if a tree really needs to be removed or if your design can incorporate it as a key feature.
- Structural issues– Before beginning home renovations, have your flooring, sub-floor, and walls inspected. If you try to renovate over faulty structural areas, it may end up being more costly to fix later on. This defeats your purpose. A specific example would be not to expect a painter to work on cracked walls and windows. That will end up in expensive repairs and repaints in just a short period of time.
- Major plumbing and electrical configuration changes– It can become extremely costly to change the location of these. If you are planning a kitchen or bathroom renovation, try and see if you can work with the existing electrical and plumbing configurations as best as possible.
- Selecting the wrong tradies – Do your research and don’t risk it. Tradies without licenses or insurances, tradies that offer to undercut other quotes or tradies with no demonstrated track record could leave you disappointed and significantly out of pocket.
Meet a Top 3 Local Business Choice near you:
Did you know that through Tradebusters Connect, we power a Top 3 Local Business Choice directory near you.
Unlike other directories, we’ve done the leg work in finding the best vetted professionals around. Click to see who got a Top 3 spot near you.