Builders Sydney: First-time home builder considerations
Making the decision to build your first home comes with a lot of responsibility and cost. However, you shouldn’t shy away from building your first home due to a strict budget.You may have to make a few compromises along the way , but overall you can still achieve a home that’s suits your needs and lifestyle.
Some things to consider before you start talking to architects and builders include making a list of your long-term goals like whether you plan to have a family, if this home is going to be an investment, and whether or not you want this to be your permanent home or a starter home.
5 Ways to Save Money When Building A Home
- Become an owner-builder – Doing this gives you the opportunity to save thousands on your project however it may also be risky and more costly if you don’t know what you are doing or get the selection of your tradies wrong. The owner-builder course will teach you about the aspects of building a home like legalities, responsibilities, permits, building codes, and how to best oversee the construction of your home.
- Consider alternative building materials – You might be surprised to learn that a large number of first-time home builders are choosing alternative materials like shipping containers for building their homes. Using alternative materials, recycling materials, and repurposing materials can substantially cut your building costs. This concept is best suited to people who plan to live in their home for the long-term as alternative materials will limit the buyers that want your home if you decide to sell.
- Use kit homes – What are kit homes? These are homes that come as a custom-built design with everything you need to construct your home. Some homeowners may opt for this when putting say a granny flat on their property. Because they can go up so quicker, it also means getting a faster return on their investment.
- Ask about “off the plan” homes – Off the plan home designs are often found in big housing developments. These constructions could possibly make an excellent investment, but you should consider the risks along with the benefits. You need to feel relatively sure that the builder that sells the home to you will continue the project and that you have buyers that will be ready to buy if you are investing.
- Start with a small home – Starting small will help you save your hard-earned money on building a new home. Even if you are planning to have a family, starting small is a good idea. After all, you can always save the money for home extensions as you want or need them. Working with the right architects, builders and tradesmen in Sydney will allow you to find ways to create a structure that can easily be added onto later as you need it.
Choosing licensed local builders and tradies is key to saving you time, money and risk when building.
Finding reliable builders and tradesmen in Sydney
If you want to find a builder or any tradesmen to help you with your Sydney home build, why not let our free Tradebusters tradesmen concierge assist you. Our team will speak to you directly about your needs and help arrange the best fit businesses for your project from our tried and tested network. You can tell us about your Sydney builder or tradesmen needs right here and a member of our team will contact you back shortly.