Painters Northern Beaches: What do colour consultants do?
The main goal of working with a colour consultant is to help you determine the most suitable paint colours for your house painting project. Keep in mind that a colour consultant is not there to make the decision for you, but to provide you with options so you can make a decision about what colours you want to use for your house. Local painters in the Northern Beaches often have a network of colour consultants they can recommend if you want to take advantage of this service before you paint.
Painters Northern Beaches: The colour scheme
The colour or colours you choose for your painting project will be determined by the atmosphere you want to project for the exterior or any interior room in your home. Some tips for your colour scheme include the following:
- The three-colour rule – One of the primary rules of painting revolves around sticking to three colours for any given project. When it comes to exterior painting that gives you options for the main part of the exterior, the gutters, and for the house trim. For your home’s interior you can use two to three colours depending on what kinds of accents you have in your rooms. Usually a main colour and a trim/accent colour for the baseboards and window trim are used for interior painting.
- The 60/20/10 rule – Another essential rule to adhere to when painting is the 60/20/10 rule. This means you use the main colour to paint 60 percent of your house, 20 percent for your trim, and 10 percent for accents like the gutters or baseboards. Your colour consultant will work with you on how this rule works.
- Use a darker colour than you want – Why would you go with a darker colour than you want? Doesn’t that defeat getting the colour you want? No. The reasoning behind going darker with your colours has to do with how paint fades over time due to the elements. That’s what the colour consultants and professional local painters we spoke with recommend.
Painters Northern Beaches: The paint finish
Nowadays you have several options when it comes to the finish you want for your painting project. Here are the primary finishes.
- Flat or matte – Flat, or matte paint finishes provide a non-reflective surface. It is most commonly used for ceilings and seldom used for walls. Some interior designers and colour consultants recommend the matte finish for some wall projects to get more depth from it.
- Satin – The satin finish has a noticeable sheen to it. This is one of the most recommended finishes according to the painters we spoke with about paint finishes. It provides great wall coverage and isn’t flashy or overdone.
- Semi-gloss – Semi-gloss finishes are reflective and slick. It will show even minor errors in the paint job, so it’s not often recommended for the DIY homeowner. Only professional painters Northern Beaches tradies should work with semi-gloss finishes. Semi-gloss is used where it is best suited on window and door trims.
- Gloss – Gloss paint provides a high-gloss shimmer to your walls. Just like with semi-gloss, gloss finishes are not forgiving and show mistakes, fingerprints, and scratches. It should be used sparingly and is best suited for a feature wall. If you are looking for a paint finish that doesn’t require daily maintenance, take gloss off your list before you get started.
- Eggshell – Eggshell is relatively popular for living rooms and family rooms as it offers a bit of a sheen and is easy to clean. Eggshell offers a deep and rich colour finish.
Painters Northern Beaches: Hiring a painter
Besides choosing the paint colours and finishes for your project, you also need to know how to choose your painter. Ideally, you should stick to a recommended painters Northern Beaches service. The reason for this is that business and tradie directory recommendations provide you with businesses that have the proper credentials and that provide superior services within a local community.
If you want to find a painter in Northern Beaches, why not let our free Tradebusters tradesmen concierge assist you. Our team will speak to you directly about your needs and help arrange the best fit painter for your project from our tried and tested network. You can tell us about your painting needs right here and we will contact you back shortly.
Need help with other local businesses in Sydney’s Northern Beaches?
Planning on buying, selling or moving? Need help with finances and property matters? Why not try the Tradebusters Connect free local business and trade directory and meet our pick of the Top 3 local businesses in Sydney Northern Beaches near you?