Builders Sydney – Good News and Bad News
The good news about Sydney is that the real estate market growth is expected to continue over the course of this year. What’s the bad news? The bad news is that there are not enough builders in Sydney to carry the load.
According to the Australian Business Review online, even though homes are not cheaper, the demand is still growing due to the growth of the population.Wilhelm Harnisch, chief executive of Master Builders predict the job opportunities for subcontractors and tradespeople will experience growth. This means residents should be aware of choosing tradies.
A Guide for Choosing Builders Sydney and Other Tradies
The most common tradesmen hired for renovations include kitchen and bathroom renovators, cabinet makers, carpenters, painters, electricians, plumbers, and builders Sydney.
It is not easy to find and select a good builder or tradesman. We spoke to some of the long established reputable tradesmen in our Tradebusters network to find out what sorts of checks and questions you should ask to find the right tradie.
- Cabinet makers – With cabinets, it is all visual. Therefore ensuring the cabinet maker you choose can deliver a high quality finish is extremely important. Always ask for examples of their work for your own peace of mind.
- Carpenters – You may need a carpenter to build a deck, install flooring, install windows and doors, or build a pergola. As every carpenter may have a different area of specialty it is important to find out what types of jobs they spend most of their time on to assess if they are right for your particular job.
- Painters Sydney – These professionals should offer a guarantee of their work, be licensed and insured, and they should be willing to provide you with references. Ask about their process- will they patch-up gaps and cracks, what type of paint quality finish will they use and the number of coats they will do. Ensure all of this is written on a formal quote and scope of works.
- Electricians – Any renovation that requires electrical wiring must be done by a licensed electrician. This is not a do-it-yourself job since it’s illegal in the NSW. Local electricians not only help with lighting and electrical outlets, they can also install and service alarm systems, data cables, home entertainment systems, and install solar power systems.
- Plumbers – Plumbers should be licensed, insured, and if gas work is involved, they must have a special licence for that as well. Gas fitting requires a separate licence. Always ask to see licensing if you are in doubt.
- Bathroom renovators – Several tradies are often involved in bathroom renovations. Bathroom renovators are often builders, or simply licensed bathroom specialists meaning that is the only type of jobs they perform. You may need a plumber, electrician, cabinet maker, and a painter as part of your bathroom renovation but if you decide to engage a bathroom renovator, they will usually take care of that full co-ordination for you. It is important to find out what is included and excluded as part of the bathroom renovation scope of works.
- Builders – Builders must carry a licence, especially when structural works are involved. Given you could be spending tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars with a builder, doing a full reference check and seeing examples of recent work is an essential must.
Find Builders and other Tradesmen in Sydney
If you want to find a good builder or tradesmen to help with your jobs or home renovation in Sydney, why not let our free Tradebusters tradesmen concierge assist you. You can tell us about your renovations or tradie needs right here and a member of our team will contact you back shortly to help arrange it all.